Saturday, September 27, 2008

Where To Now?

I am often envious of anyone who grew up in a home where good food was important, particularly if they were actually involved in the cooking. When I started out in my pursuit of producing good food I had so little experience with cooking growing up it was hard for me to even follow a recipe correctly.
Unfortunately most recipes are written for people that already know how to cook.
-- A. Brown
It is amazing how often recipes are filled with cooking terms and procedures that are non-obvious to the clueless cook.

Here are some of my favorites I struggled with. These generally fall in to one of three categories.
  1. Not really knowing what it means.
  • Sweat
  • Shock
  • Saute
  • Sear
  • Braise
  • Roast
  • Blanch
2. Subjective and qualitative decisions.
  • Pinch
  • Liberally
3. Both #1 and #2
  • Chop
  • Dice
While a little research can help with #1, but #2 and #3 are far more difficult to address. These are the things that the aforementioned people learned at some point during their culinary development and that I needed to learn before I could even successfully wield a book of recipes.

No comments: